The Letter

I spent the day at a public prosecutor's office and a police station yesterday.
An anonymous letter was submitted to the Malatya court outlining an alleged conspiracy. According to the letter I had a key role in organizing the murders of April 18th. Unfortunately, my blog probably isn't the place to go into more detail about the invented conspiracy, but it was so outrageous that I was offended even to have to answer for such nonsense.
A Turkish friend went with me to prosecutor's office, where I gave sworn statement denying the accusations in the letter. I went to the office and was told to stand and swear that I would tell the truth. The prosecutor was polite and professional. He sat at his desk while his secretary took notes on our conversation. I answered his specific questions in detail and gave an account of my relationships with the victims. The secretary typed a summary of my statement which I was asked to sign. After I asked her to make a few adjustments, a new version was printed and I signed it and left. The prosecutor denied my request to read the actual letter than was sent, and I also wasn't able to take a copy of my statement with me. In the end, this is just one more way to distract from the actual trial.
I had also been summoned to a local police station last night. I was a little nervous about it since I had no idea what I was going to the police station for. Fortunately, a Turkish friend came with me. When we arrived at the station just after 7 PM we were greeted with an unforgettable sight. A man was wandering the hallways with his hands cuffed behind his back, his pants around his ankles (he had long underwear on), and his gut sticking out from under his t-shirt. He was a mess, and he was so drunk that he could hardly walk. And he also apparently couldn't make it to the bathroom... The officers weren't very gentle with him (an understatement). He had apparently gotten drunk at work and caused a scene. Now he was causing a scene in the police station lobby where we were waiting to see the officer in charge. It didn't help my nerves.
When it was my turn to talk with the officers I was somewhat relieved. I had been summoned to the police station so that they could tell me that there was no development in the case of my stolen laptop... the theft happened in June from my apartment. I signed a statement about it and was on my way... carefully avoiding the man waddling in the hallway.
Pray for the trial and for the issue with this letter...
Comments