Philosophy of Religion

We've been living in Turkey for two years. And for two years, whenever someone asked me what we are doing here I would tell them that I am preparing to do a Ph.D. in "Ilahiyat," which means theology or "Divinity" in the broad Muslim sense. Last week I was accepted into a doctoral program at the University of Ankara in the Philosophy of Religion department, a branch of Ilahiyat.
I had looked into the possibility of studying at a university near Malatya when we were living there, and one of the professors seemed to really want me to come. But, in the end I ran into sharp opposition from other faculty members.
"Ilahiyat" is what Turks study in order to work in the ministry of religious affairs, teach at religious high schools, or even to become imams at mosques around the country. It's not generally a topic that non-Muslims, or even secular Muslims, study.
When we came to Ankara I knew that this would be my best chance of doing that Ph.D. so I started looking into Ankara University. For the last year I have wrestled with the torturous application and registration process. When I first called the university last year I was told that in order to apply I need a certificate from the ministry of education recognizing my previous degrees, so I spent hundreds of dollars translating and notarizing my diplomas and transcripts and brought them to the ministry of education. Then, I was told that in order to get the certificate I first needed to have my high school diploma recognized by a different government office, so I brought them my transcript. The government wasn't satisfied with the transcript; they wanted the fancy diploma with the gold seal, so I had to order a new one from my high school. Finally, when I had all of the documents, I brought them to the Ministry of Education. They told me to check back with them 2 months later. When I came back in two months I was told that they couldn't give me the certificate until I had applied to the university. But the university had told me that I needed the certificate in order to apply!
Eventually, the university said that I didn't actually need the certificate, so I began the application process. Applications are only accepted during a 5 day window, about a month before classes start. And the application requirements are only announced a few weeks before the application deadline. I tried to get someone to tell me in advance what kind of things would be required, but no one could tell me anything... "just wait until they are posted on the website..."
When they did post the application requirements I had to rush around getting some more documents sent, translated, and notarized. And at the last minute I had to take a Turkish exam to show that I could study at a university level in Turkish. I had to bring passport sized photos, the right kind of folder, photocopies and originals of everything. On the application day I had to stand in line for 5 hours just to turn in my documents. After five hours of waiting the girl looked through them and told me that I first had to go to another office to have my foreign transcript approved. After 8 hours at the university I eventually turned in my application and was told to show up a week later for my interview.
The interview went well. There were three professors sitting across from me who wanted to know about my background and interests. They asked me some theology and philosophy related questions and I was able to talk about the things they asked. At the end of it they thanked me and told me that I would be hearing from the university. I found out that results would be posted online, so I had to check the website every day. When results didn't come after 2 weeks, I went in person to the university. That's when I found out that I had been accepted. And the registration craziness began.
More folders, more photos, more photocopies. I had to bring 12 pictures of myself, 10 empty envelopes and 60(!) postage stamps to register. I also had to get another notarized copy of my residence permit (about $45) and I filled out a series of forms asking about everything... including my blood type. When I brought the documents to the university she gave me an account number and told me to deposit $651 and to bring the deposit receipt back to her. After 3 hours in line at the bank I had to wait until the next day to bring the slip. That meant waiting another 2 hours in line at the university. I was then given a printout with my student i.d. number and a password for the online system. And I was told to go downstairs and wait in line to get my "student document."
I was in that line for another two hours. At the end of the line I was given a document and told that I needed to get it signed by another office. The lady who signs them wasn't in... so another person signed for her, and I was sent back downstairs to have the signed document stamped. Finally, stamped and signed, I was on my way.
Then began the visa adventure.
The Turkish consulate in the U.S. told me that I needed to be enrolled before I could apply for a visa. Ironically, the university had also told me that I needed a visa before I could enroll. Eventually, the university let me enroll without the visa, but I still needed to get one before I could start classes.
The consulate in the New York said that I needed to apply from the U.S. but that I might be able to mail my application in. I wasn't really interested in mailing my passport and more documents to a Turkish office thousands of miles away, so I first went to the government office here in Ankara that deals with visas and residence permits. They had me fill out another application, and after I had given them some more photocopies, shown them my bank card, and given them another photo of myself I was told to come back in 5 days. So, I'll go back on Tuesday and hopefully that will be the end of the visa process...
This was a long post. A boring one. A tedious one. But if you print this page out and get it stamped and signed by the right offices I'd be happy to take your money and let you read my books.
I had looked into the possibility of studying at a university near Malatya when we were living there, and one of the professors seemed to really want me to come. But, in the end I ran into sharp opposition from other faculty members.
"Ilahiyat" is what Turks study in order to work in the ministry of religious affairs, teach at religious high schools, or even to become imams at mosques around the country. It's not generally a topic that non-Muslims, or even secular Muslims, study.
When we came to Ankara I knew that this would be my best chance of doing that Ph.D. so I started looking into Ankara University. For the last year I have wrestled with the torturous application and registration process. When I first called the university last year I was told that in order to apply I need a certificate from the ministry of education recognizing my previous degrees, so I spent hundreds of dollars translating and notarizing my diplomas and transcripts and brought them to the ministry of education. Then, I was told that in order to get the certificate I first needed to have my high school diploma recognized by a different government office, so I brought them my transcript. The government wasn't satisfied with the transcript; they wanted the fancy diploma with the gold seal, so I had to order a new one from my high school. Finally, when I had all of the documents, I brought them to the Ministry of Education. They told me to check back with them 2 months later. When I came back in two months I was told that they couldn't give me the certificate until I had applied to the university. But the university had told me that I needed the certificate in order to apply!
Eventually, the university said that I didn't actually need the certificate, so I began the application process. Applications are only accepted during a 5 day window, about a month before classes start. And the application requirements are only announced a few weeks before the application deadline. I tried to get someone to tell me in advance what kind of things would be required, but no one could tell me anything... "just wait until they are posted on the website..."
When they did post the application requirements I had to rush around getting some more documents sent, translated, and notarized. And at the last minute I had to take a Turkish exam to show that I could study at a university level in Turkish. I had to bring passport sized photos, the right kind of folder, photocopies and originals of everything. On the application day I had to stand in line for 5 hours just to turn in my documents. After five hours of waiting the girl looked through them and told me that I first had to go to another office to have my foreign transcript approved. After 8 hours at the university I eventually turned in my application and was told to show up a week later for my interview.
The interview went well. There were three professors sitting across from me who wanted to know about my background and interests. They asked me some theology and philosophy related questions and I was able to talk about the things they asked. At the end of it they thanked me and told me that I would be hearing from the university. I found out that results would be posted online, so I had to check the website every day. When results didn't come after 2 weeks, I went in person to the university. That's when I found out that I had been accepted. And the registration craziness began.
More folders, more photos, more photocopies. I had to bring 12 pictures of myself, 10 empty envelopes and 60(!) postage stamps to register. I also had to get another notarized copy of my residence permit (about $45) and I filled out a series of forms asking about everything... including my blood type. When I brought the documents to the university she gave me an account number and told me to deposit $651 and to bring the deposit receipt back to her. After 3 hours in line at the bank I had to wait until the next day to bring the slip. That meant waiting another 2 hours in line at the university. I was then given a printout with my student i.d. number and a password for the online system. And I was told to go downstairs and wait in line to get my "student document."
I was in that line for another two hours. At the end of the line I was given a document and told that I needed to get it signed by another office. The lady who signs them wasn't in... so another person signed for her, and I was sent back downstairs to have the signed document stamped. Finally, stamped and signed, I was on my way.
Then began the visa adventure.
The Turkish consulate in the U.S. told me that I needed to be enrolled before I could apply for a visa. Ironically, the university had also told me that I needed a visa before I could enroll. Eventually, the university let me enroll without the visa, but I still needed to get one before I could start classes.
The consulate in the New York said that I needed to apply from the U.S. but that I might be able to mail my application in. I wasn't really interested in mailing my passport and more documents to a Turkish office thousands of miles away, so I first went to the government office here in Ankara that deals with visas and residence permits. They had me fill out another application, and after I had given them some more photocopies, shown them my bank card, and given them another photo of myself I was told to come back in 5 days. So, I'll go back on Tuesday and hopefully that will be the end of the visa process...
This was a long post. A boring one. A tedious one. But if you print this page out and get it stamped and signed by the right offices I'd be happy to take your money and let you read my books.
Comments
-Jonathan M.
so... you got a good taste of Turkish 'catch 22'. hope you had something to read while standing in all the lines!
did i tell you that i run a translation office? your business is welcome anytime!
kemal abi