Three Calls

I had three interesting phone calls in the last 3 days that provide some insight into our lives here in Turkey.
1. Hatice. The first call came from a number I didn't recognize. I answered the phone and the woman introduced herself, but it still took some time for me to realize who she was. Months ago she enrolled in the bible correspondence course, looking for more information about Christianity. I sometimes help with this ministry, and I had sent a message to all of the people in our area who had signed up for the course, asking if they had received the books they requested and whether they had other questions. Now several weeks later, Hatice was calling to say that she received the books that the bible correspondence course sent, but that she still really wanted a Bible. After a brief conversation I invited her to come to church this Sunday. She was thrilled to accept the invitation. Hopefully we'll see her in church tomorrow.
2. Coskun. He is a professing believer and was a regular attender at church until last year when he moved back to his village to find work. He has always had a very unstable life. He has been unable to keep a job and has no good connections with family or friends. Over the past year Coskun has called several times, usually to ask for something. So far I haven't given him any of the things he has asked for and this time was no different. He was asking for money. Coskun has much to learn about the gospel and, unfortunately, he thinks he already knows everything there is to know. I pray for a major change in his life.
3. Mehmet. I hadn't spoken with Mehmet for months, but I was glad he called. He is a seeker from Malatya who was coming to church for a time. I was also meeting with him individually (or sometimes with a small group) to do some Bible studies with him. He comes from a very conservative Muslim background, and although I think he was largely motivated by what he might get out of his relationship with the church, I believe he also has a genuine interest in Jesus. He stopped coming to church and stopped returning my calls, so I didn't expect to hear from Mehmet again. But, he called to see how I was and whether we could get together again. I also invited him to come to church on Sunday since I'll be preaching and I told him that we could have some tea after the service.
Comments