Hocam

I'm a full-time student again. I'm nearing the end of my first semester in the PhD program in Philosophy of Religion at Ankara University... but you already know that. This semester I've had 5 classes: Basic Concepts in Philosophy of Religion, The Nature of the Qur'an, Epistemology of Religious Belief, The Concept of God, and Metaphysical Issues in Classical Islamic Philosophy. Apparently, I am the first Christian student to be enrolled in the Divinity School.
All of my classes are small. At the PhD level classes are just 2 or 3 students and a professor. Typically we read a passage or an article for homework, bring a written summary and analysis, and present on the reading during class.
In Turkey students call their teachers, hocam (pronounced "hojam"), especially in a religious context. Hocam means "my teacher." So, I spend all day saying "yes, hojam" and "how are you, hojam"... in Turkish of course. When we do address a professor by his name, we don't use his last name. Rather, we use his first name and add "Bey" to it. So, for example, one of my teachers is Ilhami Bey, another is Sait Bey, and another is Fehrullah Bey.
I am finding plenty of occasions to share the gospel and explain basic Christian concepts in my classes. This is particularly true in the case of Ilhami Bey's class, "The Nature of the Qur'an." That class is focused on the nature of revelation in Islam and the professor often appreciates the opportunity to compare and contrast what he is saying with a Christian view of inspiration and revelation. Some days we read long portions from the Bible.
I have found that I am able to be honest and open with my professors, all of whom know that I also work at a church and that I am a practicing Christian. This is refreshing... and not really what I expected. A few weeks ago, the other student in Ilhami Bey's class didn't show up, so it was just me and the professor. At one point we were having a spirited debate about Christianity and the professor very seriously looked at me and said, "Just between you and me... would you want me to become a Christian?" I answered honestly, and we shared an excellent conversation afterward.
It ended with "Good day, hojam."
Comments
welcome back! i have been missing seeing your entries. i knew you were busy... being both a student and a teacher! kolay gelsin.
so... what exactly did you say when the hoca asked you about if you wanted him to become a follower? it would be interesting to know the kind of approach that is appropriate for your academic setting.
take care of that sweet family of yours!
kemal abi
I told the hoca that, yes, I did want him to become a Christian. I explained that I believe what the Bible says about Jesus and that it is natural to want to share the truth with people. And I said that I expected that, as a Muslim, he would want me to become a Muslim as well. He agreed.