The Güveç
I just finished putting our güveç in the oven. And it didn't mind.
A güveç is a clay pot, in this case, the size of a dutch oven. The good ones come with a clay lid, but I have to cover mine with aluminum foil and the lid to another pot to keep the good stuff inside.
The first time you use it, you need to cure it by coating it with oil (or preferably lard) around the inside and outside and then burning the outside over the flame on a gas burner. Then it's a wonderful way to cook just about everything.
You can use the güveç on the stove top or in the oven. I sometimes do whole roasts or chickens in it.
Today I coated the bottom of it in olive oil, chopped up a bunch of peppers, carrots, green onions, and tomatoes and dumped in some frozen peas. I put some oregano, salt, and pepper in as well. Then I cubed some chicken breasts and fried them quickly in olive oil and lots of rosemary. I put the chicken on top of the pile of vegetables and covered the whole thing without mixing it. It's in the oven cooking now, but when it comes out it should be pretty good over rice... and with some Turkish yogurt on the side.
A güveç is a clay pot, in this case, the size of a dutch oven. The good ones come with a clay lid, but I have to cover mine with aluminum foil and the lid to another pot to keep the good stuff inside.
The first time you use it, you need to cure it by coating it with oil (or preferably lard) around the inside and outside and then burning the outside over the flame on a gas burner. Then it's a wonderful way to cook just about everything.
You can use the güveç on the stove top or in the oven. I sometimes do whole roasts or chickens in it.
Today I coated the bottom of it in olive oil, chopped up a bunch of peppers, carrots, green onions, and tomatoes and dumped in some frozen peas. I put some oregano, salt, and pepper in as well. Then I cubed some chicken breasts and fried them quickly in olive oil and lots of rosemary. I put the chicken on top of the pile of vegetables and covered the whole thing without mixing it. It's in the oven cooking now, but when it comes out it should be pretty good over rice... and with some Turkish yogurt on the side.

Comments